Wetlands Protection

It is illegal to drain or fill a wetland without a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The entire Texas coast is under the jurisdiction of the Corps’ Galveston District Office. Before a permit can be granted, the requestor must show that the project has considered all viable alternatives and minimized impacts as much as possible. Any wetland loss must be compensated for by constructing new wetlands or by restoring or enhancing existing wetlands. The Corps of Engineers considers all public comments before granting a permit. Knowledgeable comments about local wetlands are particularly valuable. The Regulatory Branch can be contacted at (409) 766-3930 for those who wish to be added to the permit mailing list.

Comments are closed.